Friday, September 16, 2016

The Difficulty of Love

“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” (I Corinthians 13:4-7 NIV)

I have been thinking about love lately, not the romantic kind that people have long mistaken to be what this passage is talking about, not the “feeling” kind of love that is conjured up by engagement and wedding announcements, but the “loving” kind of love, where love is actually practiced and not merely felt.  

Yesterday was a perfect example for me.  I had written an email to someone regarding some financial issues that were causing me a lot of stress.  I had questions and I was confident she had some answers, but I was not expecting an immediate response.  These were just some things for her to think about in looking ahead to a more serious discussion.  Several hours later, my phone rang and this woman’s name was on the screen.  She sensed my anxiety from the email and took time out of her schedule to immediately answer my questions.  This was an act of love on her part—she was being kind.

Later in the day, after returning home, I had lingering irritation from something that had happened earlier.  That irritation spilled out onto my wife while we were working together to fix dinner.  Instead of responding in kind, she loved me—she was patient.

When I look at this passage, I am humbled.  Loving is really hard and, so often, I am not very good at it.  When I put my name in the place of love, it is clear how far short I fall of God, who is love (Romans 3:23; I John 4:8).  It shows me how much I need the Lord to help me to love the people around me.  It is not natural, nor is it easy.  I am always thankful for examples like the ones I have cited above.

Jesus told His disciples that people would recognize them as His followers by the way they loved each other (John 13:35).  This is so much easier said than done, so much easier taught than practiced, so much easier assumed than actually lived out.  Often, I think we overestimate our ability to love on our own.  To love is a divine ability that does not come natural to us.  We need help, lots of it.  

Today, put your name in the place of love in this passage.  See how you fare.  I am guessing it will be a humbling exercise as it was for me.  The reality for you and me is we need divine help to truly love.  Now would be a good time to ask for it.

© Jim Musser 2016

No comments: