Wednesday, September 7, 2016

The Bridge of Grace

“Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.” (Colossians 3:13 NIV)

While I was working on my master’s degree in counseling, I worked one semester as a teaching assistant and taught my own class.  It was a freshman-level class for students interested in exploring career options. As with all classes, there were projects and papers.  I thought I did a decent job, but I was demanding.  

At the end of the semester, the students filled out the required class evaluation forms and my supervising professor warned that students are often very negative in their critiques.  When he handed me the stack of forms, he said, “Don’t take these personally.”   Well over half said something like this: “Jim is a nice man, but…” and what would follow were their criticisms of how tough and demanding I was.  

I was thinking about this the other day after hearing a student criticize another ministry.  “They’re okay, but….” I admit saying similar things sometimes about people, ministries or situations.  However, what I am also learning is grace is the bridge over the “but….”  

None of us is perfect.  We all have our flaws, idiosyncrasies, and shortcomings.  In other words, we all need to be on the receiving end of grace.  Since that is the case, Paul says, we should be quick to extend grace to others when their imperfections irritate us or even offend us.  It is so easy, perhaps even natural, for us to descend into the valley of criticism, but recognizing our own need for grace can help us to take the bridge instead.  

This is not to say we are to ignore people’s shortcomings.  In fact, “bear with” implies a full knowledge and experience with imperfect people. Yet, despite the imperfections, we are to continue to love and accept our brothers and sisters.  We are to take the bridge instead of going into the valley, remembering the words of Jesus, “By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:35 NIV)

Today, as you interact with fellow believers and encounter their shortcomings, remember the bridge of grace is always the best path to take.

© Jim Musser 2016

No comments: