Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Trust Issues

“Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.” (Proverbs 3:5-6 NIV)

Before I came to North Carolina, my life was at a crossroads.  I was without a job for the first time since finishing grad school and had no immediate prospects for another.  Yet, I trusted the Lord for His provision and direction in my life.  That wasn’t always the case.  

Many times in my life I walked by sight rather than by faith.  I had trust issues.  I trusted in my own insight rather than the Lord’s.  And, looking back, I realize I missed out on some of what the Lord intended for me.  I chose my own path and yet, being the faithful God that He is, He still used me and brought good things out of my lack of trust, just as He did with Moses and Peter, among many others.  

By the time I became unemployed, I had learned to trust the Lord in ways I had never before.  I knew He had a plan and He would work out the details.  And He didn’t let me down.  

I have recently talked with students who have trust issues with God. The future for them is unclear and there is a lot of anxiety.  Out of my own experience, I have encouraged them to put their full trust in the Lord, that He won’t let them down, that He has things under control even when that is not completely clear.  As Paul said to Timothy, God is faithful because He cannot disown Himself (II Timothy 2:13).  He is by nature faithful.

Today, whatever unknowns you are facing or decisions you need to make, trust in the Lord to guide you.  I know from experience that He won’t let you down.

© Jim Musser 2015

No comments: