Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Desperate Times

“The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.  Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you.” (Psalm 9:9-10 NIV)

A student shared with me not too long ago that before she came to know the Lord, she had felt completely alone and on her own.  It was at that desperate moment, she said, the Lord spoke to her these words, “You have me.”  From that moment, she began to pursue the Lord and, as this psalm promises, the Lord has never forsaken her.

It has been my experience that when we trust God in even the most desperate of times, He is faithful to stand with us.  I remember when my mom was diagnosed with terminal cancer while I was in college, sitting at my desk reading the Scriptures searching for comfort, not knowing how I could handle losing her just a couple of years after my dad’s death.  I came upon II Corinthians 12 where God tells Paul, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”  Those were exactly the words I needed to hear at that moment and they enabled me to persevere through a very difficult time.

I also recall another time, not so many years ago, while I was on a three-month sabbatical, when I strongly felt God’s presence beside me. My first wife had decided to abandon our marriage and I was in New Mexico spending time trying to regain my emotional equilibrium.  I was out hiking one day and in the middle of the barren path (it was in March), I saw a flower.  It was the first and only one I saw, and I felt the Lord was telling me that at some point along the difficult path I was on, He was going to bring to me something quite beautiful.  In the midst of deep hurt and despair, this gave me hope and assurance that the Lord was in control and good things would eventually come (and they did).

When desperate times come in our lives, it is tempting to forsake the Lord and, sadly, I have seen many do so.  However, it is exactly at these times when we need to trust in Him and seek Him.  And I know from my own experience and the experience of many others, He is true to His promise.  He will be there for us.

Today, know that the Lord is faithful.  Even in the worst of times, if you are seeking Him, He will be there beside you giving you the help and encouragement you need.

© Jim Musser 2015

No comments: