Friday, October 23, 2015

Accepting Wise Advice

“Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise.” (Proverbs 19:20 NIV)

I have been on both sides of advice—giving and receiving and know how hard it is to accept it.  I remember during my freshman year when I had broken up with my unbelieving girlfriend and started dating a believer.  I found myself wanting to go back to the old relationship and an older, more mature friend told me not to do it, that I would regret it if I did.  I didn’t listen to his advice and, as he had warned me, I later regretted the decision.  

I have sat with many students and encouraged them to make good decisions only to see them ignore my advice and do the opposite, convinced their judgment was better than mine.  One student I met for counseling several years ago had a lot of issues from the past.  I recommended a female counselor for her to see and told her it was a great opportunity for her to deal with the issues while she was single as opposed to carrying them with her into a marriage and motherhood. She listened and nodded, but didn’t follow through; instead she continued her pursuit of yet another romantic relationship.  

Too often we only trust our own judgment, or that of others whose life experience and spiritual maturity are no greater than our own.  As Proverbs 15:22 says, there is wisdom in having wise counselors in our lives, people who have greater experience and knowledge.  They can help us succeed in what the Lord has for us in our lives and to avoid the many pitfalls that inevitably await us.

Today, recognize, particularly if you are young, that your judgment may sometimes be flawed.  So look for the wise and more mature people the Lord has placed in your life to help you navigate through the tough decisions and issues you are facing.  And, most importantly, take heed of what they tell you.  God has put them there to help guide you.  That will only work if you accept what they have to say.

© Jim Musser 2015

No comments: