Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Willing and Available

“When Esther's words were reported to Mordecai, he sent back this answer: ‘Do not think that because you are in the king's house you alone of all the Jews will escape. For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father's family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?’  Then Esther sent this reply to Mordecai: ‘Go, gather together all the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my maids will fast as you do. When this is done, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish.’" (Esther 4:12-16 NIV)

It’s not unusual for me to occasionally receive messages from readers saying that something I wrote spoke to them.  However, last week I received two messages on consecutive days from readers saying the Lord used my devotions to speak directly to their hearts.  I found it interesting because, honestly, it was a week where I really struggled with what to write.  Generally, ideas flow fairly easily, but last week it was not that way.  Most of the time, I found myself digging into my archives looking for something to post.  And, probably because I enjoy writing from fresh thoughts, I was a little disappointed in myself.  

Those messages I received, however, were strong reminders that the Lord can use me even if I am having an off week because it is not really my efforts but His power that is the key.  All that is needed on my part is a willingness to be available for His use.  As Mordecai told Esther, God’s will would be fulfilled with or without her help, but He had chosen to use her if she were willing.  

God used me last week in the lives of two people merely because I was willing to be available.  He doesn’t necessarily need us to bring our “A game” to a given situation, or even have a clue about what we are doing.  He just needs our willingness to be available to Him.  

Today, know the Lord wants to use you in advancing the work of His Kingdom.  You may not feel at all qualified, but know that does not matter.  He’s not looking for experts or people who are living perfect lives, just those who are willing to be available to Him. 

© Jim Musser 2015

No comments: