Monday, September 7, 2015

Strangers

“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne.  All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?  When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?  When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’” (Matthew 25:31-40 NIV)

Many international students have never been in an American home. Though they study in America and even have American friends, their experience in our country often does not include being invited into a family home.  So when my wife and I were blessed last year to be able to purchase a large home, we knew the Lord was giving us the opportunity to fulfill one of our mutual gifts—hospitality.  

So, we didn’t think twice when a Korean student let us know she needed a larger place to host fellow international students for a Korean/Thai dinner this weekend and wondered if we would be willing to open our home for them.  "Of course!" we said. Nations represented were South Korea, Japan, Thailand, and Spain. We knew two of the students, but the rest were strangers.  

Since they usually have not been inside an American home, we give them a tour of ours.  Last night, as I was showing them the guest room, the Japanese student asked if we allowed foreigners to stay there.  He went on to say his father would be visiting him next month.  When I told him his father would be welcome to stay with us, his eyes lit up and a smile spread across his face.   “Thank you!  Thank you so much!” he exclaimed.

Whether or not his father ends up staying with us, I don’t know, but this student’s reaction spoke volumes about the value of hospitality.  A stranger being warmly received into a home is a powerful expression of kindness, one that in our busyness of life we often ignore.  We barely have time for those closest to us, let alone showing hospitality to strangers.  Yet, Jesus makes a point that hospitality is one of the marks of those who follow Him.  “I was a stranger and you invited me in.”

The current refugee crisis in Europe is an example of the power of hospitality.  While experiencing hostility and rejection in Hungary, the refugees received a warm welcome from Germany, bringing many to tears and putting smiles on their faces.

Strangers in the context of this passage are ones in need.  The international students we invite into our home are away from their families and friends, many for the first time, staying in a country whose culture and language are very unfamiliar to them.  Much like the refugees coming to Europe, a warm welcome brings much needed encouragement and security.  Each one of the students last night thanked us multiple times for inviting them into our home.  In that brief time, I think some needs were met and, according to Jesus, we served Him at the same time.

Today, think about the strangers in your life—the neighbors you’ve never truly met, the classmates who sit around you, and those from other countries who cross your path.  Consider how you might show them hospitality.  For showing kindness to strangers is the same as doing it to Jesus.  

© Jim Musser 2015

No comments: