Friday, September 4, 2015

Remembering God

"Will the Lord reject forever? 
Will he never show his favor again?  Has his unfailing love vanished forever? 
Has his promise failed for all time?  Has God forgotten to be merciful? Has he in anger withheld his compassion?" 
Then I thought, ‘To this I will appeal: 
the years of the right hand of the Most High.’  I will remember the deeds of the LORD; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.  I will meditate on all your works and consider all your mighty deeds.  Your ways, O God, are holy. 
What god is so great as our God?” (Psalm 77:7-13 NIV)

It seems to be a fact of our human nature—we easily forget God.  We forget His power, His faithfulness, His love, and sometimes, even His very existence.  Perhaps this is why the most oft repeated command in the Bible is, “Remember.”  

I am not sure why we are so forgetful, but I know from my own experience, and in observing others, that it is true.  Just yesterday as I was preparing for a Bible study, I realized how long it had been since I had thought about the awesomeness of God and His creation.  Though I live in the midst of it constantly, my thoughts had been elsewhere.  

When life is hard, we can forget the love and mercy of God.  Even though we may have experienced it many times before, in the midst of difficulties we tend to forget.  And when we are stressed, we seem to forget how faithful the Lord has been in the past to get us through those times, whether it be a heavy course load, relationship difficulties, or when money is very tight.  And sometimes we become so busy or distracted, we don’t even think about God at all, for hours or even days!

So it seems remembering has to be a very intentional act; it is not something that will ever come to us naturally.  The Psalmist says, “ I WILL remember the deeds of the Lord; yes I WILL remember your miracles of long ago.”  And it seems the key to remembering is found in his next statement: “I WILL meditate on all of your works and consider all your mighty deeds.”  We must take the time to think about the Lord and His works and deeds in our lives and in the world.

Today, take some time to think about what the Lord has done in your life.  Remember how truly great He is, lest you forget.

© Jim Musser 2015

No comments: