Thursday, September 24, 2015

Staying on God's Good Side

“My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.” (I John 2:1-2 NIV)

Yesterday, I had to go to the post office to put money into a postage due account that had been overdrawn.  As I handed the check to the clerk, I commented that I hoped this would get me back on the good side of the worker who had called me about the account.  The clerk laughed and said, “It’s always best to be stay on her good side.”  Obviously, he had had some experience with being on her bad side.  

Sometimes I think this is how we view God—there is a good and bad side to Him and that it’s always better to stay on His good side.  So we do our best to stay on the better side.  Yet what happens when we mess up, when we wind up on the bad side?  I really think it is a false dilemma.

We do not need to fear getting on his bad side because He doesn’t have one.  He is good, period.  And when we mess up?  Well, God is righteous and does punish sin.  Fortunately, for you and I, however, Jesus already took our punishment.  As a result, He stands ready to defend us before the Father.  And the Father readily accepts His intercession on our behalf because He loves us.  That is why He sent His Son to earth.

Perhaps you have relationships with people who have good and bad sides and you try hard to stay on their good side.  That may be advisable.  However, know that God is not like that.  You don’t have to worry that if you mess up you will be on His bad side.  Jesus took care of that for you a long time ago.   Besides, God doesn’t even have a bad side to get on.

Today, enjoy the freedom you have to be in a relationship with your Heavenly Father without having to worry about what happens when you mess up.

© Jim Musser 2015

No comments: