Monday, September 28, 2015

Striving for Greatness

“A dispute also arose among them as to which of them was considered to be greatest. Jesus said to them, ‘The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them; and those who exercise authority over them call themselves Benefactors. But you are not to be like that. Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves. For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves.’” (Luke 22:24-27 NIV)

These are interesting times in which we live where social media, rather than face to face encounters is the means by which we air our disagreements.  Having friends on Facebook, whom I believe to be followers of Jesus, of both “liberal” and “conservative” leanings, it is interesting to observe how often some of them post links to articles or videos to reinforce their opinions about how Christians should think about the issues of the day.  Perhaps due to the tone of the article/video, the message being conveyed seems to be, “my views are superior to yours and are the right ones to hold.  Of course, placed side by side, they are often totally opposite viewpoints.  From followers of Jesus who claim their allegiance to Him.  

If you remove the social media aspect, this is not much different than the spats the disciples had with one another.  They all followed Jesus, but they often didn’t agree with each other.  And, as Jesus pointedly revealed, at the heart of their disagreements was a desire for superiority.  They each wanted to be seen as better than those other guys.  “I am the greatest disciple!” “No, I am!”  

When I read many Facebook posts, this is what I hear.  “I am the better follower of Jesus!”  “No, I am.”  And I admit, it is tempting to join the fray because my heart is prone to wander into the same territory of thinking I am right and everyone who disagrees with me is, at the very least, deceived, and, at worst, an idiot.  But then I am reminded of the words of my Lord, “But you are not to be like that.”

My calling and your calling as a follower of Jesus is not to pursue greatness in the eyes of others or your own, but is rather to serve others.  It is not to seek to be viewed as the one with the most stellar arguments or opinions.  As the writer of Ecclesiastes puts it, this is chasing after the wind.  

When the disciples became focused on who was the greatest, Jesus redirected them.  They were spending time and energy on things that held no importance in the Kingdom of God.  For greatness, He taught, is not found in power and acclaim, but in serving the King and one another.  

Today, if you are in the habit of airing your opinions on social media because you think they are superior to those of others who also follow the Lord, then remember the rebuke Jesus gave His disciples.  Instead of striving for greatness among each other, strive rather to serve one another.  This indeed is the example Jesus left us that we might follow in His steps.  

© Jim Musser 2015

No comments: