Friday, November 13, 2015

The Power of Kindness

“Once safely on shore, we found out that the island was called Malta. The islanders showed us unusual kindness. They built a fire and welcomed us all because it was raining and cold.” (Acts 28:1-2 NIV)

I remember one time while a college student and living in the campus ministry house, I got so sick that I was unable to get out of bed.  My campus minister came up to my room with a pitcher of orange juice. Why do I remember this after all these years?  It was a small act of kindness when I was in great need.  I remember another time from that era when I was a camp counselor in Colorado one summer.  We had just returned to the camp after an overnight hiking trip with the kids.  A severe storm had descended upon us and we had to truck the kids out of the forest.  I was so wet and cold that I could barely move my hands. Awaiting us back at the camp were hot coffee and blankets given to us by a very kitchen staff.  Acts of kindness are powerful, so much so that I can remember two of them from decades ago.  

Paul was a prisoner on a ship of prisoners.  They were caught up in a violent storm that lasted for days.  Finally, the captain spotted land and crashed the ship upon the rocks.  The ship broke apart and the men were plunged into the water.  When they made it ashore, they were wet, cold, and exhausted.  No wonder Luke was so taken by the kindness of the islanders.  Imagine a warm fire after all they had just experienced! And that act of kindness has been preserved in history because Luke found it so memorable.

In a world that is so coarse and abrasive, and often uncaring, we as followers of Jesus have a powerful gift to share that has been given to us by our Heavenly Father who is kind.  A component of love as Paul describes it is kindness. Like dripping or flowing water that can over time dissolve rock, acts of kindness can soften a hardened heart.  

A student and I were discussing yesterday the events happening on the campuses of the University of Missouri and Yale and what Christians can do.  I think speaking and acting kindly in the face of all the anger and tension would go a long way to bringing light into the darkness.  We can so easily get caught up in the verbal volleys between cultures and philosophies that we often forget the folks on both sides are fellow human beings, created and loved by God.  In fact, we are told that a trait of our Lord is to show kindness to those who are ungrateful to Him and even to the wicked (Luke 8:35). 

I think there are two reasons kindness matters so much.  First, if God is kind, then we should be as well if we love Him and want to please Him. Secondly, kindness is powerful in opening up hearts.  It strikes chords deep within us, which are not easily ignored or forgotten.  

Today, recognize the power of kindness to impact and transform lives. If Luke remembered a warm fire and I remembered being given a pitcher of orange juice when I was sick, what small things could you do that would make a difference in people’s lives and give a glimpse of God’s love?

© Jim Musser 2015

No comments: