Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Practicing Thankfulness

(Author's Note: The campus is taking a break for Thanksgiving and so will I.  Have a blessed holiday!  WftW will return on November 30th. Jim)

“Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” (I Thessalonians 5:16-18 NIV)

Thankfulness is something that has to be practiced in order to become good at it.  That is why I think there is so much awkwardness around the table during Thanksgiving when we’re asked what we are thankful for.  There are often impolite giggles, awkward silences, shallow responses such as, “I’m thankful for this food; now let’s eat it!” or general comments, such as “I’m thankful to live in this country.”  Or, nothing is said.  We just eat, talk, and carry out the traditions of the day. When it comes to being thankful, most of us are lowly amateurs.  

Think about it.  How often do you express thanks to God or to others for what you have in your life—your possessions, your opportunities, such as having a job or getting an education?  How often do you give thanks for your family—your parents, even with all their imperfections, who still provided for you, or your siblings, even when they sometimes frustrate you?  And are you able to offer thanks when your circumstances are less than ideal as Paul exhorts us to do?  

Being thankful is a discipline; it does not come naturally to us.  We have to practice it to become adept at it.  So my challenge to you is to start practicing thankfulness by making a list of the many things for which are (or can be) thankful.  To help you get started, here are some of mine:

I am thankful for:

*Jesus Christ, who sought me out when I was lost and loved me, who removed my guilt and my shame, giving me meaning, hope and purpose in my life.

*My wife, who daily exemplifies for me the love of God. She loves me unconditionally, but continually encourages me to become more and more like Jesus.

*Our home which provides me shelter from the elements and the opportunity to use our gift of hospitality

*My ministry to which God called me so many years ago, which I continue to enjoy, and through which I have been richly blessed.

*The food in our pantry and refrigerator, and the clothes in my closet.

*Our vehicles which, though old, still run well and come without car payments.

*Our friends, locally and around the country, who love us and give us the gift of fellowship.

*Our financial supporters who have given faithfully and generously over many years.

*The beauty of our surroundings, for the mountains and the rivers, for the variety of birds that come every day to visit our feeders.

*For the weather, whatever it is, for the Lord uses it for His glory.  

Like fresh water being poured into a glass of dirty water, the discipline of thankfulness can flush out the negative thoughts and attitudes of our lives.  It can enhance our appreciation of what we do have and tamp down our discontent for what we feel we are lacking.  Thankfulness is what helps make it possible to be content in whatever circumstances we find ourselves.  

So today, start practicing.  Then when you are asked, “what are you thankful for?” you will have no awkwardness or hesitancy in answering. Your constant practice will pay off.

© Jim Musser 2015

No comments: