Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Spiritual Vitality for a Lifetime

“The righteous will flourish like a palm tree, they will grow like a cedar of Lebanon; planted in the house of the LORD, they will flourish in the courts of our God.  They will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green, proclaiming, ‘The LORD is upright; he is my Rock, and there is no wickedness in him.’” (Psalm 92:12-15 NIV)

As I was reading this yesterday morning, the phrase “they will still bear fruit in old age” jumped out at me.  Now age is relative.  To the students with whom I work, I am old, but to others I know who are retired or near retirement, they see me as still a youngster.  One thing is clear, however, I am not getting any younger.  

We live in a culture that glorifies youth and connects aging with decline. Physically, that is usually true.  My body isn’t what it once was. Although a knee replacement has given me the opportunity to become more active, I am still move much slower than I was in my 20’s and my vertical leap can be measured in mere inches.  A once full and dark head of hair is noticeably thinner and graying.  Yet, spiritually, instead of declining, over the years I believe I have continued to grow and bear fruit.

That is the beauty of walking with the Lord.  While we may be in physical decline (and experts say that begins in our early 20’s!), we have the hope of thriving spiritually throughout our lives.  And that is God’s desire.  Just because we are reaching a stage of transition in our lives, whether that be graduating from college, marriage and family, or retirement, doesn’t mean we move into some sort of spiritual low gear or park.  He wants us to remain productive, to continue bearing spiritual fruit throughout our lives.  And contrary to the beliefs of our culture, the Psalmist reminds us that it is indeed possible.  As I age, I find that exciting and reassuring, knowing I can be spiritually productive to the very end of my life.

Today, regardless of your age, remember the Lord’s desire for you is to bear fruit throughout your life.  And regardless of how old you get, you can still retain spiritual vitality.  I think that makes the reality of aging a lot more tolerable.

© Jim Musser 2015

No comments: