Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Noticed


“Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.” (Luke 12:6-7 NIV)

I was trying to catch ground squirrels that had become a nuisance around our house.  I set up a trap, baited it, and forgot it.  A week later I remembered and went to check the trap.  Inside I found a sparrow sitting very still.  It had been dead several days.  We enjoy birds around our house and have feeders to attract them.  I felt bad that one had died in the trap because I failed to check it.  

This passage reminds me that God took notice of that sparrow, too, and it did not die unnoticed.  How amazing is that?  The God who created the entire universe would take notice of one sparrow He created!  

Of course, Jesus’ emphasis is not so much on the value of sparrows, but of each of us.  If God takes notice of a sparrow, how much more each of us?   

On a campus of thousands, in a city of millions, or in a world of billions, we can feel pretty small, unnoticed and unvalued.  But Jesus is saying to us, “I know you.  You are of great value to Me.”  

Today, know how valuable you are to the God of the universe.  Your life has not gone unnoticed.

© Jim Musser 2013

No comments: