Thursday, September 19, 2013

Crying Out for Help


“I love the Lord, for he heard my voice;
 he heard my cry for mercy.  Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live.  The cords of death entangled me, 
 the anguish of the grave came over me; 
 I was overcome by distress and sorrow.  Then I called on the name of the Lord:  ‘Lord, save me!’  The Lord is gracious and righteous; our God is full of compassion.  The Lord protects the unwary; 
 when I was brought low, he saved me.  Return to your rest, my soul, 
 for the Lord has been good to you.” (Psalm 116:1-7 NIV)

It takes a lot for most of us to cry out for help.  We usually look first for our own solutions.  In biblical history, it seems the Israelites always had to reach a point of desperation before they cried out to God for help.  Not much has changed. 

During the past few weeks, our ministry has really struggled financially.  Paychecks have been held back, bills have been paid late, and each trip to the mailbox is fraught with both hope and anxiety.  I have prayed, but honestly I’ve spent more time trying to figure out how we can find additional financial support.  I’ve contacted people about our need and some money has come in, but not enough.  Yesterday, still hopeful that additional money was about to arrive, I went to our mailbox only to find it empty.

Driving home, I knew I had no choice but to fall to my knees and cry out to God.  And that’s what I did.  I poured out my fears, my frustrations, and asked for His help, which I so desperately needed.  My sense from the Lord was: “What took you so long?”

I didn’t get any immediate calls promising support and I have no idea what I will find today in the mailbox, but that time on my knees crying out to the Lord did bring me comfort and peace.  For in reality, everything I have comes from the Lord.  I am totally dependent on Him, whether or not I always recognize it.  And that is exactly where He wants me to be.  As a child depends on his parents to provide for his needs, the Lord wants me to depend on Him.  Unfortunately, sometimes that takes getting to the point of desperation.

Today, if you are finding yourself in a place where you need help, then ask God for it.  Get on your knees and cry out to Him.  He is gracious, full of compassion, and wants to help you.

© Jim Musser 2013

No comments: