Monday, September 2, 2013

Belief and Unbelief


“A man in the crowd answered, ‘Teacher, I brought you my son, who is possessed by a spirit that has robbed him of speech. Whenever it seizes him, it throws him to the ground. He foams at the mouth, gnashes his teeth and becomes rigid. I asked your disciples to drive out the spirit, but they could not.’

‘You unbelieving generation,’ Jesus replied, ‘how long shall I stay with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring the boy to me.’

So they brought him. When the spirit saw Jesus, it immediately threw the boy into a convulsion. He fell to the ground and rolled around, foaming at the mouth.

Jesus asked the boy’s father, ‘How long has he been like this?’  ‘From childhood,’ he answered.  ‘It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us.’

‘”If you can”?’ said Jesus. ‘Everything is possible for one who believes.’  Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, ‘I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!’ (Mark 9:17-24 NIV)

I have to admit; sometimes I share this man’s confliction.  “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!”  Belief is a lot easier in theory than it is in practice.  It’s one thing to hold a certain belief; it is quite another when that belief is put to the test.  For example, do you believe the Lord will provide for your every need?  If so, will you still believe it when you are without a job and the bills are coming due?  Do you believe the Lord is truly your ever-present friend?  If so, will you still believe that when you find yourself in the midst of great loneliness? 

Like the man in this passage, we probably know the right answer, but living it out is much more difficult.  I believe, but help me overcome my unbelief! 

I take comfort in Jesus’ response: Everything is possible for one who believes.  My responsibility is to believe and when that belief is put to the test, He makes it possible to pass it.  Like the father when his faith was tested, we can cry out for the Lord’s help. 

Today, if you find your beliefs being tested and your faith shaky, cry out to the Lord for help.  Everything is possible for one who believes.  As the Apostle Paul tells us, “I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.” (Philippians 4:2)

© Jim Musser 2013

No comments: