Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Not Only Forgiven, but Forgotten

“This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel
 after that time,” declares the Lord. 
 “I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. 
 I will be their God, and they will be my people.  No longer will they teach their neighbor, 
 or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’
 because they will all know me, 
from the least of them to the greatest,”
 declares the Lord 
For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.” (Jeremiah 31:33-34 NIV)

A few years ago, my brother had a bad bicycle accident, the cause of which will remain a mystery.  Why?  Because he has no memory of it. He was knocked unconscious and awoke with no idea about what happened. And that turned out to be a very good thing.  It enabled him, once he recovered, to get back on his bike without any hesitation or fear because there were no traumatic memories with which to contend. 

Most of our memories are very good, particularly when it comes to sin. We tend to remember the bad things we’ve done, and those memories impact our lives.  They often fill us with deep regret or bitterness and enslave us, holding us back from experiencing the freedom that comes with knowing God.  But imagine if we had no memory of them.  Imagine if we could somehow get on with life without our memories getting in the way.  

What is striking about this passage is that God says, “I will forgive their wickedness and remember their sins no more.”  My first thought is, surely not.  But there it is, He will not remember our sins.  This is the promise of the New Covenant (Hebrews 8:6-13), that through Jesus there is forgiveness of sin and, once forgiven, God will have no memory of them.  Amazing!

So, like my brother, though we have fallen, we can get back up as if nothing had ever happened.  There may be wounds needing to be healed, but the memory of our sin is gone.  It is like it never happened.

Today, recognize knowing Jesus comes with the promise of not only having your sins forgiven, but for them to be forgotten as well.  

© Jim Musser 2017

No comments: