Thursday, October 26, 2017

The Reality of Your Life

“Truly my soul finds rest in God; my salvation comes from him. Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken. How long will you assault me? Would all of you throw me down—this leaning wall, this tottering fence?  Surely they intend to topple me from my lofty place; they take delight in lies. 
 With their mouths they bless, but in their hearts they curse.  Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him.  Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.  My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge.  Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.” (Psalm 62:1-8 NIV)

Within the church there is a culture of pretension.  We want to give the appearance that we are dedicated to the Lord and we know the “Christian” things to say, but often the reality is much different.  I have had countless students in my ministry over the years tell me how much they want to grow in the Lord and how they are trusting Him for their futures, but then a guy or a girl comes along and, suddenly, their trust is placed in someone else.  I have known people who said they are trusting God for their finances, but they’re wringing their hands each day they go to work.  And I’ve known individuals that have melted under the heat of persecution.  Appearances don’t matter much when reality hits.

David’s use of the word “truly” is important in this passage.  He is not offering up mere spiritual platitudes.  He is declaring that his soul DOES find rest in God, that God indeed IS his rock and salvation.  And the proof is not in his words, but in his life when reality strikes.  Men are seeking to topple him from his throne.  He finds himself in a time of crisis when words don’t matter much, but instead in how we respond. And in this crisis, he remains true to his words.

While a seminary student, I gave the pretense of one seeking after the Lord and trusting in him, but a break-up with my girlfriend revealed something quite different.  In reality, I was an idolater who worshipped this woman much more than I did the Lord.  It was a humbling admission, but a much needed one.  And while on this narrow path, there have been other humbling times where my words haven’t quite matched the attitude of my heart, and that was revealed by the reality of life.  Thankfully, we serve a God rich in mercy and grace.  

Today, consider how you present your faith to others.  Is it consistent with the way you actually live your life?  One way or another the truth will be revealed when reality strikes.  The question is, will you be vindicated or humbled?

© Jim Musser 2017

No comments: