Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Developing Spiritual Habits

“Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.” (I Corinthians 9: 24-27 NIV)

I think I was 12-years-old.  It was early summer, just after school was over for the year. I made the monumental decision that I was going to be a professional basketball player.  That summer was going to be the beginning of my training. Every morning I planned to rise early and head out onto my parents’ driveway where our basketball goal awaited and I was going to work on improving my skills.  The first day went exactly as I had planned. I was up early and I put myself through a demanding workout.  It was the only day that did. My dreams didn’t include the amount of work it would take to reach them.  I had big plans, but my dream was well ahead of my willingness and ability to be disciplined. My plan for the summer didn’t even last two days!

I was never very disciplined as a child or a teenager, and it has been an on and off struggle as an adult as well. But one thing that has worked well for me is just establishing a routine over a short period of time and, if I can manage to do that, a habit can be formed that will be long lasting.  For example, 20 years ago, I broke the tibia in my left leg that resulted in the gradual decline of my already damaged left knee. A physical therapist advised me that I needed to start doing exercises to compensate for its worsening condition.  Over a few months, I got into the habit of working out three times a week at her facility. That turned into a habit that is now 20 years running.  Another habit that formed around that time is this devotional. It began in the early days of the Internet as an email devotion during the school year. Twenty years later, I am still writing. Finally, and I don’t remember when I started this, for many years I have been reading through the Bible at breakfast.  I start in Genesis and work my way to the end of Revelation and then start all over again.  I don’t even know how long it takes; I just do it.  But I know that habit has taken me through the Bible dozens of times.

As I thought about this the other day, what I realized was I didn’t start out on any of these habits with any grand expectations.  I did not plan to develop an exercise habit of more than 20 years. I didn’t expect to still be writing these devotions after two decades. In fact, I’m not sure I planned it to go for more than a few months. And I didn’t start my practice of Bible reading at breakfast seeing it as my way of reading the whole Bible.  I just started. And even after I got started, I was far from perfect in keeping these disciplines.

One of the quickest killers of habits before they start is beginning with grandiose plans. I’m going to get up at 6:30 every morning and go for a two-mile run. I’m going to journal every day. I’m going to start reading my Bible and/or praying for an hour daily. And like my plans to begin training for a professional basketball career, we fail miserably because we have never even taken the small steps required to develop a habit. We have rarely ever ran; never consistently journaled, and never read the Scriptures or prayed for longer than a few minutes.  By making our goals so lofty, we sabotage any hopes of developing an enduring habit because when we fail the first time, we tend to give up. This is the reason so many would-be dieters, exercisers, etc. fail in their attempts. What we need to understand about discipline and developing habits is the start is usually very modest.  It is just a thing we start to do because we want to.  There are few expectations and no lofty plans.  And when we mess up, it is not that big of a deal.  We just start again.

The race of the Christian life of which Paul speaks is a life-long one. It is not a sprint where if you make one mistake you are out of the running.  It is a marathon where time is on your side and mistakes are less costly. So the pressure is not great. One just needs to begin running it, putting one foot in front of the other. That’s it.  And if that is done, fairly soon, we will develop a stride that will take us to the finish. It won’t be a perfect start; it doesn’t have to be.  The habits of the Christian life can be formed just by starting out attempting to do some of the things that are needed to complete the long journey—reading, praying, practicing obedience in small ways. As we do these things, not only do we do better at them, but they also begin to become ingrained as habits in our lives.

Today, if you are struggling with developing spiritual habits in your life, the time to begin is now. Whether it is reading the Scriptures, praying, etc., just start doing it in a small way without great expectations, but with determination to continue one more day. Then days can turn into weeks, which can turn into months, and then even years.  You won’t be perfect in your attempts or necessarily in your consistency, but you don’t have to be.  Habits never begin with perfection, nor are they always kept perfectly.  They begin with the determination to start and keep going even when you fail.

© Jim Musser 2017

No comments: