Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Measures

“We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves with some who commend themselves. When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are not wise. We, however, will not boast beyond proper limits, but will confine our boasting to the sphere of service God himself has assigned to us, a sphere that also includes you. We are not going too far in our boasting, as would be the case if we had not come to you, for we did get as far as you with the gospel of Christ. Neither do we go beyond our limits by boasting of work done by others. 

Our hope is that, as your faith continues to grow, our sphere of activity among you will greatly expand, so that we can preach the gospel in the regions beyond you. For we do not want to boast about work already done in someone else’s territory. But, ‘Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.’ For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends.” (II Corinthians 10:12-18 NIV)

As part of my cardiac rehab, I was working out on a stationary bike, doing around 120 rpms with a fairly high resistance, and sweating profusely.  A woman walked by and said, “You’re working way too hard.” A little later, after I explained a little about my physical challenges over the years and that I’m seizing the day now than I can once again do vigorous exercise, she said, “I can’t stand it!”  Whether she was referring to my working out so hard or her loathing of the machine, I’m not sure, but it brought to mind how easy it is to compare ourselves to others and the dangers of it.

When I’m working out these days, it feels good and I often feel like I am so much younger than I am.  And when I observe all the others in their workouts, I’m tempted to think how much better shape I’m in compared to them. But when I wander in that mental direction, I have to quickly remind myself with whom I am making the comparisons.  I once asked one of the interns, a college student, what resistance he used when riding the bike.  It was nearly twice what I used.  

As Paul rightly says, when we compare ourselves with just ourselves as the standard or others who seem to fall below us, we are not wise. We are always going to find others with whom to compare ourselves to whom we are going to appear superior. But they will be the wrong measure. Instead, it is wise always to measure ourselves against the Lord. 

Measuring ourselves against anyone else can easily lead to self-righteousness or self-loathing. We tend to think we are better than we are or, conversely, worse than we are. When I compare myself physically to elderly people, I can think I’m quite the athlete, but against younger people, I get a dose of reality that I am not nearly as good as I have imagined. It all depends on the measure.

We should compare ourselves to God for two reasons.  First, it is quite humbling and keeps us from self-righteousness and ignorance of our true standing.  It leaves no doubt: we are sinners and have fallen short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23). Second, it levels the field of our tempted comparisons.  What good is it to compare ourselves with other sinners who are on the same level?  There are no distinctions of sin; there is just sin.  When we admit that we are merely sinners without any claims of righteousness, then we are in the position of accepting the truth that we are loved despite our sin (Romans 5:8).

Today, consider the measure against which you measure yourself. Are you being wise and measuring yourself against the righteousness of the Lord? Or are you falling into the trap of measuring yourself against yourself or other sinners like you?  The latter will keep you in bondage to self-righteousness or self-loathing.  The former will set you free to live life humbly and with the knowledge you are deeply loved despite your shortcomings.  

© Jim Musser 2017

No comments: