Thursday, September 21, 2017

Excuses

Jesus replied: ‘A certain man was preparing a great banquet and invited many guests.  At the time of the banquet he sent his servant to tell those who had been invited, “Come, for everything is now ready.”

‘But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said, ‘”I have just bought a field, and I must go and see it. Please excuse me.”

‘Another said, “I have just bought five yoke of oxen, and I’m on my way to try them out. Please excuse me.”

‘Still another said, “I just got married, so I can’t come.”

‘The servant came back and reported this to his master. Then the owner of the house became angry and ordered his servant, “Go out quickly into the streets and alleys of the town and bring in the poor, the crippled, the blind and the lame.”

‘Sir,’ the servant said, ‘what you ordered has been done, but there is still room.’

Then the master told his servant, ‘Go out to the roads and country lanes and compel them to come in, so that my house will be full.  I tell you, not one of those who were invited will get a taste of my banquet.’” (Luke 14:16-23 NIV)

This morning I am going to a prayer meeting on campus with some of our students. It’s been going on for several weeks now, but I’ve always had excuses of why I couldn’t go.  Last week, my wife referenced this parable of Jesus when I offered my reasoning for why I wasn’t going to attend.  It was effective in changing my mind.

Through His story, Jesus is pointing out a universal truth of humankind: We easily can come up with excuses not to do things we really would rather not do. In my work with students, the excuses for not participating in things or for not praying or taking time to read and study the Scriptures is often the generic, “I’m too busy.”  Sometimes, they get more specific.  “I have to study for a test.”  “I have a paper due tomorrow.” I have to work.” “I’m meeting with a friend.”  Of course, some excuses are actually valid, but the truth is we find time to do the things we really want to do. We may not have time for prayer, but we have plenty of time to watch Netflix and hang out with friends.  We may not have time to participate in a Bible study, but we have plenty of time to go for a hike or work out at the gym.  

It’s a matter of perspective and this is what Jesus is driving at. What are the priorities of our lives? Is growing in our relationship and devotion to Him at the top of the list, or is it far down, crowded out by the things we truly want to do and the things we feel obligated to do.  Note that excuses of the people in the parable weren’t lame, but reasonable to a degree.  As was often the case, Jesus used hyperbole to make His point, which is true with this story. If we call ourselves Christians, followers of Christ, then He, by definition, has to be our first priority. What He draws into question is whether or not this is evidenced by the daily life choices we make. We may claim one thing, but do our lives back that up or reveal something else?

Today, consider the choices you are making.  Do they reflect your commitment to Jesus or more to your own interests and desires?  If it is the latter, know that while you may have excuses, they may be found wanting by the Lord because of the truth behind them.

© Jim Musser 2017

No comments: