Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Chasing of the Gods

“Those who run after other gods will suffer more and more. I will not pour out libations of blood to such gods or take up their names on my lips. Lord, you alone are my portion and my cup; you make my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. I will praise the Lord, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.” (Psalm 16:4-8 NIV)

It doesn’t take much keen observation to recognize people often are their own worst enemy.  Every year I witness students getting in their own way of spiritual growth and maturity.  As David so wisely notes, when you chase after other gods in your life, you will suffer.  And as in most places, there is a lot of “chasing of the gods” on college campuses.  Students often run desperately after the approval of their peers, a friendship or romantic relationship, a 4.0 GPA, the dream of a promising and lucrative career, or simply endless fun and pleasure for themselves.  

The point David is making is if what you are chasing is anything other than the one, true God, you will eventually come up empty and the worse for it.  And, that it is such a dumb thing to do!  God is so wonderful, why would you choose any other?

Yet, the vast majority does, and most without giving much thought to it. It is the way of the world and it appears to them normal.  But the end result is also, sadly, normal—lives full of disappointment, anxiety, depression, and lack of fulfillment and purpose.  But in every generation, the futile chase continues and the results are the same.  

God, however, is loving and faithful.  He continues to seek to turn eyes toward Him, to where hope and joy are found. He does this through His creation and through His people.  David says elsewhere that the heavens declare His glory, and we, His followers, are as well, through the way we live our lives and treat others.  Through both, the Lord is declaring His glory to those who desperately, for their own sakes, need to see it.  

So today, know the Lord wants to use you in the lives of those who are chasing other gods to show them how much better it is to chase after the one, true God.  And, if those same things tempt you, remember you will only come up empty in the end.  Truly, only God can fully satisfy.

© Jim Musser 2017

No comments: