Thursday, October 20, 2016

A Reclamation Project

“When Jesus got out of the boat, a man with an impure spirit came from the tombs to meet him. This man lived in the tombs, and no one could bind him anymore, not even with a chain. For he had often been chained hand and foot, but he tore the chains apart and broke the irons on his feet. No one was strong enough to subdue him. Night and day among the tombs and in the hills he would cry out and cut himself with stones.

When he saw Jesus from a distance, he ran and fell on his knees in front of him. He shouted at the top of his voice, ‘What do you want with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? In God’s name don’t torture me!’ For Jesus had said to him, ‘Come out of this man, you impure spirit!’

Then Jesus asked him, ‘What is your name?’ ‘My name is Legion,’ he replied, ‘for we are many.’  And he begged Jesus again and again not to send them out of the area.
A large herd of pigs was feeding on the nearby hillside. The demons begged Jesus, ‘Send us among the pigs; allow us to go into them.’ He gave them permission, and the impure spirits came out and went into the pigs. The herd, about two thousand in number, rushed down the steep bank into the lake and were drowned.

Those tending the pigs ran off and reported this in the town and countryside, and the people went out to see what had happened.  When they came to Jesus, they saw the man who had been possessed by the legion of demons, sitting there, dressed and in his right mind; and they were afraid. Those who had seen it told the people what had happened to the demon-possessed man—and told about the pigs as well.  Then the people began to plead with Jesus to leave their region.

As Jesus was getting into the boat, the man who had been demon-possessed begged to go with him.  Jesus did not let him, but said, ‘Go home to your own people and tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and how he has had mercy on you.’  So the man went away and began to tell in the Decapolis how much Jesus had done for him. And all the people were amazed.” (Mark 5:2-20 NIV)

Yesterday was an amazing day in the High Country of North Carolina. Not only are the Fall leaf colors at their peak, but also I was able to hike to some of the highest points on the Blue Ridge Parkway to gain an awesome vantage point.  But don’t misunderstand me when I use the word “able.”  I am being literal and not using it as a synonym for opportunity.

Two and a half years ago, I had a very bad knee replaced.  Hiking like I did yesterday was not possible before without major consequences like pain and swelling.  So, for the most part, I had stopped doing any hiking that was very long or very steep.  That would describe the hike my wife and I did yesterday.  Yet, I had no pain or swelling, or even shortness of breath.  It was amazing!  In the past two years, in many ways I have been able to reclaim the days of my youth.  What I was unable to do, or only to do with great pain, I am now able to do as if I were still a young man!  And every opportunity I get, I give praise to the Lord for it.

My experience reminds me in a way of the demon-possessed man whom Jesus healed.  He was in a pathetic condition, one that was inflicted upon him by demons.  He was no longer the man he once was, physically or mentally.  He was an object of fear and trepidation.  No one wanted anything to do with him.  

But Jesus, with just a few words spoken with authority, allowed this man to reclaim his humanness.  The demons fled and the man returned to his right mind.  Now the man, grateful as he was, wanted to follow Jesus, but the Lord told him to go back home and tell everyone what had happened to him.  And he did so with much excitement, I’m sure.  

Reclaiming something vital in our lives is always a reason for praise. Whether it be a reconciled relationship, a long lost friendship, or a return to health, reclamation is a cause for celebration.  

What is so encouraging about this story and so many others of Jesus’ ministry is His ability to restore people to whom they were created to be—the demon-possessed man, the leper, the tax-collector, the adulteress.  Jesus is in the reclamation business.

Today, know that whatever is holding you down from being all that God created you to be, He can make you right again.  He can reclaim you, like He did me, not only physically, but spiritually and emotionally as well.  And whether you have already experienced it or are just now desiring it, it should cause you to tell others about the Lord who achieved it for you.

© Jim Musser 2016

No comments: