Wednesday, January 27, 2016

A Sign of Maturity

“Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles. Moreover, as you Philippians know, in the early days of your acquaintance with the gospel, when I set out from Macedonia, not one church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving, except you only; for even when I was in Thessalonica, you sent me aid more than once when I was in need. Not that I desire your gifts; what I desire is that more be credited to your account. I have received full payment and have more than enough. I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:14-19 NIV)

A colleague dropped by my office last week.  Both of us rely on others to provide the financial support for our ministries and the conversation drifted in that direction.  A church planter, he said members of his new church had not grown up in church and were very new to the faith. Thus, he said he could not yet depend on much support from their weekly offerings.  Why?   Because financial generosity typically comes as people spiritually mature.  

This is evident as Paul expresses his appreciation to the Philippian believers.  Note that he says they were the only ones in the region that had been willing to financially support his work.  The reason for this I think was this church was the first one Paul planted in the area and thus the oldest.  They had had some time to mature in their faith and had begun to embrace the belief that God does indeed supply all of our needs.

Unbelievers and those who are young in the faith often cling to the idea that what they have is what they have.  Nothing else is magically going to appear.  If they give away hard earned money, how will bills be paid or financial goals be met?  And the self-centered way of life is still entrenched—one’s own needs and wants are first and foremost. Generosity is a sign of spiritual maturity.  

It is only as we grow closer to the Lord that we begin to realize we can trust Him to provide for us and thus become more like Him in our generosity.  He loves when that happens! (II Corinthians 9:7)  He loves when we grasp the idea that it is better to give than to receive. (Acts 20:35)  He loves when we give of our resources and have faith that He will still supply all that we need.  Doing so demonstrates our dependence on Him.

Today, examine your attitude toward giving to the work of God’s Kingdom.  Are you a cheerful giver or a reluctant one?  The answer will reveal a lot about your maturity in the Lord.

© Jim Musser 2016

No comments: