Monday, January 25, 2016

A Joyous Reunion

“Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him.  According to the Lord’s word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep.  For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.  After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. Therefore encourage one another with these words.” (I Thessalonians 4:13-18 NIV)

In just a few hours, I will be reunited with my wife who has been visiting family and friends in South Africa for nearly a month.  It really hasn’t been that long, and I have coped, I think, rather well, but I am really looking forward to being together again!  Life just hasn’t been the same without her.  

Thankfully, Marianna has only temporarily been absent, but all of us likely have experienced a separation that seems more permanent in nature.  My grandmother died when I was in high school.  My dad passed when I was 19 and my mom five years later.  And as I have continued on the path of this life, others I have known and cherished have moved on to Eternity.  This is the reality of life in a fallen world. None of us escape having to deal with death and separation from the ones we love, and the grief that comes with it.  

But those of us who know the Lord do not have to grieve as the world does, as ones without hope of ever seeing our loved ones again.  Just like I will be reunited with my wife today, I will one day be re-united with my grandmother, my dad, my mom, and all those with whom I had a special relationship in this life because they all knew the Lord.  And the Lord, because He rose from the dead, provides the way to escape the throes of Death through eternal life.  Thus, one day there will be a big reunion for all who know and worship Him!

Today, if you have ever lost someone close to you to death or are facing the prospect of someone passing from your life, be encouraged by the hope that is found in Jesus.  If they followed Jesus in this life, or even expressed their allegiance to Him just moments before they died, then you will indeed see them once again.  Your separation is only temporary.  A joyous reunion is planned!  What a day that will be!

© Jim Musser 2016

No comments: