Thursday, October 31, 2013

Skipping Halloween


“Dear friend, do not imitate what is evil but what is good. Anyone who does what is good is from God. Anyone who does what is evil has not seen God.” (III John 11 NIV)

Let me just be straight up: I would just as soon skip October 31st every year.  Halloween is not only my least favorite holiday; I don’t even think it should be celebrated, at least by those who claim to follow Jesus.  Yes, it is a day where kids put on cute costumes and adults get to act like kids again and play dress-up, but can we all admit that, at its core, Halloween seeks to glorify the dark realm?  No matter what we try to make it, it is still primarily a holiday celebrating and drawing attention to darkness.  

This time of year, horror flicks are staples for many of the cable channels. “Haunted houses” feature fake, but often realistic gore with the intent to scare their patrons.  Ghosts, spirits, and demons clearly are the focus for many.  So I think my uneasiness with this day is warranted.

John says not to imitate evil, and many other places in the Scriptures warn us to avoid evil.  So it seems to reason that we should carefully consider this day and what we do with it.  Should those of us who worship the God who is love be involved with a holiday that exalts fear? (I John 4:18)  Should those who follow the Light of the World (John 8:12) embrace a holiday devoted to darkness?  Should those of us who believe death is the curse of sin (Romans 5:12) celebrate a holiday glorifying death?

I know there are many, perhaps including you, that celebrate this day because it is a lot of fun, and your intent is not to imitate evil.  Yet, today I would ask you to consider whether Halloween in any ways brings glory to God or to anything to which He calls good.  For me, I will do what I do every year—skip it.

© Jim Musser 2013

No comments: