Monday, October 28, 2013

Is He Willing?


“While Jesus was in one of the towns, a man came along who was covered with leprosy. When he saw Jesus, he fell with his face to the ground and begged him, ‘Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean.’

Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. ‘I am willing,’ he said. ‘Be clean!’ And immediately the leprosy left him.” (Luke 5:12-13 NIV)

I don’t know about you, but I struggle with the same doubts as this leper. I believe the Lord is omnipotent, that He can do whatever He pleases, and, most certainly, He can meet any need I may have.  But the question that frequently comes to my mind is this: Is He willing?  

Lepers in the 1st Century were outcasts, avoided at all costs by the populace.  No doubt this man struggled with feeling worthy of almost anything.  Hearing about Jesus and the miracles He was doing had to put hope in his heart.  He knew Jesus could heal him.  The big question was: Would He be willing to do so?  

It is likely the leper doubted He would.  The general public abhorred him. The religious people avoided him.  And it is likely a human hand had not touched him since he was afflicted with the dreaded disease.  He had every reason to doubt Jesus would be willing to heal him.  

Like the leper, I recognize my sin is abhorrent to God.  Still, I repeatedly fall into sin.  So the question naturally arises, why would the Lord be willing to heal me or to meet some other need I have when I am so unfaithful?  Perhaps the answer is found in this verse from Paul’s second letter to Timothy: “If we are faithless, he remains faithful, for he cannot disown himself.” (Verse 13)  God’s character is one of love.  That is who He is.  Regardless of our unfaithfulness, He will remain faithful in loving us.  

So we should not be surprised by Jesus’ answer to the leper’s request: “I am willing.”  That is in direct line with His character.  His love produces a willingness to meet our needs.

Today, know the Lord is willing to provide for your needs, regardless of your repeated falls into sin.  The God who created you will always be faithful in loving you. 

© Jim Musser 2013 

No comments: