Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Only One Savior


“’You are my witnesses,’ declares the Lord, 
‘and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me
 and understand that I am he.
 Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me.

‘I, even I, am the Lord, and apart from me there is no savior.  I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—I, and not some foreign god among you. 
 You are my witnesses,’ declares the Lord, “that I am God. Yes, and from ancient days I am he. 
 No one can deliver out of my hand. 
 When I act, who can reverse it?’” (Isaiah 43:10-13 NIV)

If you are on Facebook, even if you don’t watch television or listen to the radio, you know we are in the midst of a presidential election.  Posts regarding the merits or faults of either one of the candidates make regular appearances on my wall.  Just this morning, a post appeared saying how evil the Republicans are and that surely Jesus would have been a Democrat.  Of course, my Republican friends have countered that Democrats basically voted God out of their platform.  I guess they infer that if Jesus were a Democrat, no one in the party would vote for Him because they didn’t believe in Him.  And so it goes.

I think people get so agitated because they place so much value on what they think one candidate can do for the country.  I think the attention and hope are misplaced.  

Four years ago, on the night Barak Obama was elected, there was dancing in the streets all across America.  As every politician does, he promised hope and a better way.  Surely, the throngs thought, he was going to do it.  Four years later, we realize it was an empty promise, as are many of the promises politicians make.  

We too often are looking for a president to be a savior, someone who is going to fix most of the problems and make our lives better.  To use a phrase of candidate Obama four years ago, that is way above any human’s pay grade.  For there is only one Savior and it is not Barak Obama, Mitt Romney, or any other presidential candidate, past or future. It is the Lord and there is no other.  

Today, I encourage you to exercise your right to vote in this year’s election, but recognize that neither the President nor his challenger, if elected, is going to save this country.  The only hope for that will come in recognition that God is Lord and there is no Savior apart from Him.

© Jim Musser 2012

No comments: