Monday, October 8, 2012

Allowing God to Lead


"Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall." (Psalm 55:22 NIV)

There I was with my two hiking companions just below the summit of Long's Peak (14,255 ft.) in Colorado, making my way down the only way I knew how--on my butt.  The descent down "the chute" was a 70-degree grade and I was very unsure of my footing.  I wasn't alone.  My companions and several others were taking the same approach as well.  

As we scooted our way down to more level ground, I heard an unfamiliar voice behind me and turned to see who it was.  I couldn't believe my eyes.  A man was walking upright confidently and swiftly descending from the summit.  He was obviously a very experienced climber.  What was even more amazing was that he was guiding a woman who appeared to be a novice.  Holding his hand, she carefully followed his exact steps.  When she hesitated, he gently reassured her.  As they passed us "scooters", he said, "The footing is not that bad," and then they quickly went on their way down the mountain.

I expect that couple was off the mountain several hours before us because he was confident in his abilities and she trusted him and kept up with his pace.  We, on the other hand, had no such confidence in ourselves and no leader to show us a better way.  We were all tentative on that mountain.  If the woman had been with us, she likely would have sat down, too.  She stood only because she had someone in whom she could trust and followed his lead.

Today, you may be finding yourself on a steep slope and unsure of your footing.  Perhaps you are scared of the new challenges you will face in the coming weeks or when you graduate.  Or perhaps you feel God is leading you into very unfamiliar territory.  A lot of people are in the same spot, but many of them proceed with tentativeness and fear.  It does not have to be that way for you.  Know that God can be trusted.  He will not let you fall.  Take hold of Him and you can confidently face whatever challenge is in front of you.

© Jim Musser 2012

No comments: