Thursday, May 11, 2017

Unfamiliar Journeys

“LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance.  I will praise the LORD, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me.  I have set the LORD always before me.  Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.

Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure, because you will not abandon me to the grave, nor will you let your Holy One see decay.  You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.” (Psalm 16:5-11 NIV)

When I was a kid, I remember going over to my friend Billy’s house every summer to hear him and his dad tell stories about their vacations. I, however, had a dad who never enjoyed traveling and rarely ever did. Thus, I was always enthralled with their stories, and longed more and more to travel when I grew up.  

Entering adulthood, I did see my dream to travel become reality and I have traveled throughout most of the country and to a number of countries around the world.  But I have been on other journeys just as exciting and fulfilling, perhaps even more so.  These are the journeys I have taken in life—a career, marriage, divorce, re-marriage, the deaths of my parents, and many others.  Life is full of journeys, not all pleasant, but with the Lord they can all be meaningful.  

The academic year is ending and many students are preparing for life after school.  It is a journey that can be viewed as daunting, even frightening.  School has been their life for nearly 20 years.  But like all unfamiliar journeys, the Lord is at our right hand, walking with us every step of the way.  He will guide us and protect us.  Indeed, I can affirm this is true because I have experienced His faithfulness on my many journeys.

Today, whether you are graduating soon or beginning some other unfamiliar journey, know that the Lord has made you secure in Him.  He will guide you and protect you.  He will not abandon you along the way. Your journey, if you trust the Lord, will lead you closer to Him.  

Have a great trip!

© Jim Musser 2017

No comments: