Monday, May 1, 2017

Stopping To Ask for Help

“So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.” (Luke 11:9-10 NIV)

One time I was sitting at a stoplight along a road construction site when a car came from the other direction, slowing down as if the driver was going to ask me a question.  Looking directly at me, I heard him say to his passenger, “I don’t think he can help us.”  Then he drove on.  I don’t know what question he had but, obviously, he decided I wouldn’t know the answer.  On what basis he drew that conclusion I have no idea.  

Isn’t that how we sometimes think of God?  Not that He is unable to help us, but for whatever reason, we are convinced He won’t.  So we don’t ask.  Perhaps we think God only deals with the BIG questions of life, so when we have a small one, we think, “He won’t help me,” so we don’t stop to ask. Or maybe we think He is too busy for “little ol’ me,” so we avoid bothering Him.  

Yet, this is not the God portrayed in the Scriptures.  Little children, who we know always are full of questions, were welcomed to gather around Him (Matthew 19:14).  We are encouraged to approach God’s throne of grace in our time of need and no mention is made of the type or size of the need (Hebrews 4:16).  And we are told to ask Him for help.  

The Lord, by all Scriptural accounts, seems very open to questions and requests for help. We just have to believe He will help us regardless of the size of our need.

Today, if you need help, don’t pass by the Lord thinking He won’t help you. He has told you to ask, and He has promised to help you.

© Jim Musser 2017

No comments: