Thursday, December 8, 2016

A Soft, Gentle Light

“When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, ‘I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.’” (John 8:12 NIV)

I am a morning person. I have been for most of my life. I have always liked the quietness and solitude of the early hours of the day. These days when I wake up to a darkened house, one of the first things I do after coming down the stairs is plug in our Christmas tree lights. I love looking at them, as well as the soft glow they cast throughout the first floor of our house.  In the wee hours of the morning, I find them comforting and adding to the peace of the morning.

When Jesus says, “I am the light of the world,” I envision that same soft glow effect as there is in our house this morning.  It is not a glaring or intrusive light, but rather one that illuminates while at the same time drawing our eyes to it.  

Light has the potential to both blind and illuminate, depending on darkness of our surroundings.  The more dark, the less the intensity of the light needed.  A lighted match is sufficient to illuminate a cave, but wouldn’t do much in broad daylight.  But turn on a spotlight in a very dark place and it will blind everyone.

Jesus came into a very dark world—sin reigning and humans separated from their Creator.  He could have come in all His Glory as a spotlight to show how deep and pervasive our sin is.  But we would have been blinded by the intensity of the pure light.  Instead, He came as a light much softer and more gentle.  He came as a human being just like you and I, but because He was God, there was divine light emitting from Him. However, His humanity softened it so that it would be gentle and not piercing, alluring rather than jarring or repulsive.  In a way, like the light in our home this morning.  

This is how I view the message that propels our celebration of Christmas. In the words of the prophet Isaiah: “The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of deep darkness a light has dawned.” (9:2) It is the light that illuminates the darkness and brings comfort and peace. 

Today, as we prepare to celebrate the birth of Jesus, regardless of the state of darkness in your life, know He is the light that can dispense with it, turning your darkness into the hope of dawn, bringing peace and comfort like beautiful Christmas tree light on a cold, dark morning.  

© Jim Musser 2016

No comments: