Tuesday, November 22, 2016

My Thanksgiving List

(Author's Note: Tomorrow we begin our Thanksgiving Break, so I will be taking a break as well.  WftW will return on November 28th.  May you have a very blessed Thanksgiving holiday!  Jim)

“Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” (I Thessalonians 5:16-18 NIV)

As we approach our national day of Thanksgiving on Thursday, here is a partial list of the things for which I am thankful on a continual basis:

*The grace and mercy of Jesus, who loves me and saves me despite my sin.

*My wife of 11 years, a woman of faith beyond what I could have asked or imagined, and far more than I deserve.

*My vocation, to which He surprisingly called me more than 30 years ago and through which He has blessed me abundantly.

*Our home, in which we moved two years ago this week.  What a blessing it has been as an outlet for our gifts of hospitality, hosting many a stranger and friends alike, and as a gathering place and second home for many students.  

*Shelter, food, and clothing. In a wealthy nation such as ours, it is easy to take these for granted, but in reality they are blessings from above.

*Good health.  Even as I approach the fringes of old age, I feel as though I’m still 30, but with a lot more wisdom.  Another blessing from above!

*Good friendships, both those of many decades and those of just a few years.  

*The beauty of the place in which we live.  Every day we have the privilege of seeing beautiful mountains, forests, and streams, which people drive for hours to see.

*Our nation, which is far from perfect, but still provides us with so much for which we can take for granted—freedom of speech, freedom of religion, decent roads, effective local governments where trash is picked up, electricity and water are reliable, mail is delivered in a timely fashion, and elections are fair.

*The firefighters, police officers, and emergency workers willing to put their lives at risk for the sake of others.

Remember, being thankful is one way to fulfill God’s will in your life. Today, what is on your thanksgiving list?

© Jim Musser 2016

No comments: