Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Stepping Onto an Unknown Path

“The LORD had said to Abram, ‘Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you.  I will make you into a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing.  I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.’  So Abram went, as the LORD had told him….” (Genesis 12:1-4 NIV)

I was well established in a campus ministry at the University of Kansas years ago when I got a strong sense from the Lord that I would be leaving that ministry.  I didn’t know when; I didn’t know where I would go.  I just felt strongly I would be leaving at some point.  Eight months later, I found myself out of that ministry and with no idea where I would be headed next. It was the beginning of a fascinating journey.

This month, many students are graduating from college and find themselves in a similar position.  They have no idea what is next.  Even if they have a job lined up, it is brand new territory in which they are entering.   

Throughout the Scriptures, men and women were asked to step out in faith onto a path with an unknown destination.  Noah, Abraham, Esther, David, Jeremiah, Hosea, Mary, Paul, and many others were called by God to go into a future with many unknowns.  Yet, in every case, the Lord blessed them, and their journeys, though often difficult, were fulfilling beyond their imaginations.  

Four months after I resigned my ministry position at KU, I was offered the opportunity to direct a struggling ministry at Appalachian State University, an obscure school (at the time) in the mountains of North Carolina.  It was unfamiliar territory, but I knew the Lord was calling me there and so I went.  Nearly 12 years later, I can say I have been blessed beyond my wildest imagination.  Though there were a lot of struggles early on, God has done amazing things and I am enjoying campus ministry as much as I ever have.  But it took a big step of faith to get here.

For those of you who are graduating, or just facing a major change of direction in your life, there is one thing you can count on: the Lord will be going before you.  He knows where He is leading you, even if you do not.  You can trust Him.  The journey on which you are about to embark won’t necessarily be easy, but it will be fulfilling beyond what you can imagine if you remain faithful in following His lead.  

© Jim Musser 2016

No comments: