Monday, May 2, 2016

Embodying Grace

“As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.” (Ephesians 4:1-3 NIV)

Over the past week, in light of a major birthday, I have been reflecting on my life.  One of the things I see is a vast growth in grace towards others.  With maturity comes humility.  This is what Paul is urging in his letter from prison.  He was an arrogant man before he met Jesus on that unforgettable trip to Damascus, confident in his beliefs and impatient with any who disagreed with him.  But Jesus exposed who he really was and, as a result, he was humbled.  

Now, years later, we see the result.  What Paul is asking of the Ephesians (and us) is not what we would expect from the man headed to Damascus.  He has changed, dramatically. He has matured and it shows.  His life now embodies grace.

One of the things I long struggled with was former students’ disregard for what I (or others in my ministry) had poured into them.  Many just moved on with no contact or show of appreciation through financially supporting the ministry that had spiritually supported them while in college.  I used to let that eat at me.  I took it personally.  

But as I have matured, I have been able to have more grace.  I have realized more and more if the Lord had the same attitude toward me when I failed to show my appreciation to Him, I would be in big trouble. Elsewhere, Paul says, “forgive as the Lord forgave you.”  And this is the measure that will lead to increased grace in our lives.  Every slight, insult, and hurt inflicted upon us should be viewed in the light of how the Lord treats us when we do the same to Him.  

I have also found this very freeing.  Instead of being focused on people in my past, I can focus on those in my present.  Instead of focusing on those in my present with whom I am holding grudges, I can focus wholly on those who need my attention and ministry.  And when the people who have caused me frustration come to mind, my thoughts toward them can be ones of grace and love, which results in peace instead of stress.  

Today, are there people in your life with whom you are frustrated or worse?  Consider these words of Paul.  Measure your response with the Lord’s response to you.  What will result is more grace and that will lead to more peace and freedom in your life.  

© Jim Musser 2016

No comments: