Thursday, April 7, 2016

Feelings and Your Walk with God

“Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” (Hebrews 13:8 NIV)

Spring is usually a volatile time weather-wise and the proof of that is the weather forecast for the next few days.  While we’ve had sunny weather in the 50’s most of this week, this weekend’s forecast is for snow and freezing temperatures, followed by temps in the 60’s to begin the new week.  During the spring, it seems like we can get weather from all four seasons in a matter of days.  It's always changing.

I am thinking about the weather this morning because I have had several conversations with students lately about linking our emotions to our relationship with the Lord.  Human emotions remind me of early spring weather.  The only thing predictable about them is their changing nature.  One day we can feel great and the next we can feel lousy.  The problem is when we tie these ever-changing emotions to how we view the Lord and our relationship with Him.  

When I was a college student, I would go on retreats or spring break trips and come back feeling so good about the Lord.  “Me and Him, we’re really tight,” I would think.  Until a day or two later.  Then I would be struggling with the pressures of school or some relationship, and my feelings would change.  I didn’t feel so excited about the Lord at that moment.  I remember this going on for several years until I realized it was not the way I wanted to live.  I realized the problem was allowing my emotions to influence my perceptions of God and my relationship with Him.   There was no stability because my emotions were all over the place.  It was then this verse opened my eyes.

The Lord never changes.  He is stable and consistent.  Instead of using my emotions as my gauge for how I was doing spiritually, I needed to shift my focus to Him.  Instead of relying on lingering feelings of guilt after I sinned, I needed to focus on His Word, which says if I confess my sins, He is faithful and just to forgive me and cleanse me from all unrighteousness (I John 1:9).  Instead of trusting my feelings of abandonment by God, I needed instead to trust His Word, which promises He will never leave me or forsake me. (Hebrews 13:5)

It is a lesson that has served me well over the years.  My walk with the Lord is no longer a roller coaster of ups and downs.  I have learned to trust more in the Lord and less in my feelings.

Today, recognize that your feelings, like the weather of early spring, are constantly changing and unpredictable.  If you use them as your spiritual guide, you are in for a wild ride.  Rather, place your trust in the Lord.  He never changes.

© Jim Musser 2016

No comments: