Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Our Defender

“This is what the Lord Almighty says: ‘The people of Israel are oppressed, and the people of Judah as well. All their captors hold them fast, refusing to let them go.

‘Yet their Redeemer is strong; the Lord Almighty is his name. He will vigorously defend their cause so that he may bring rest to their land, but unrest to those who live in Babylon.’” (Jeremiah 50:33-34 NIV)

Yesterday, I wrote about a sidewalk at an Atlanta homeless shelter. Today, I have another story about that sidewalk through which the Lord revealed another truth.

We were out in the yard playing with the children.  Laughter and excitement filled the air as they played various games.  I was walking and observing them when I noticed writing on the sidewalk.  The kids had access to chalk and one of them had written, “Jermaine is stupit (sic).”  Another slanderous statement with another name accompanied it, a sentence that has faded from my memory.  But I do remember the feelings of disgust, anger, and compassion that washed over me.  The shelter was a place of hope for these kids who had so much going against them, and one of their own was adding more abuse and heartache to already troubled lives.  

I walked around for a few minutes contemplating what I should do, if anything. I told one person in charge, but he was so busy with other things, he didn’t act, and, at that point, I’m not sure what I expected him to do.  Then it came to me, an overwhelming sense that I should erase the offensive comments.  So I sought out a broom and some water, and, as the kids returned to the building, I washed and brushed the chalk away.  After I finished, it was as if the accusations were never made.  

For much of the evening, while we were watching the kids do karaoke, I thought about this.  Why did I feel so strongly the need to do this?  It didn’t take long to figure it out.  Having been with these kids for a few days and hearing stories from their moms of the struggles they had endured, I felt protective of them.  They had been through enough and I didn’t want them to have to endure more.  I felt the need to defend them.  And I believe this was from the Lord.

We may feel beaten down by others and by life, but God is our defender.  The accuser may be constantly whispering to us that we are losers, or fat, or ugly, or stupid, but the Lord is also there to vigorously defend us.  He will not let those mean and damaging words remain unchallenged.  He will erase them with His righteousness, which covers all those who belong to Him (I Peter 2:24).

Today, if you are feeling the taunts of the accuser, know that you have a Defender who is vigorous in His fight on your behalf.  Whatever the accusations, He will erase them with His righteousness.

© Jim Musser 2016

No comments: