Thursday, November 20, 2014

Evangelism and Gimmicks

“But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him. For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life. And who is equal to such a task? Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, like men sent from God.” (II Corinthians 2:14-17 NIV)

The radio show, “This American Life,” did a feature a few years ago on “bait and switch” schemes, which included an interview with a self-described former evangelical Christian.  He told of using “surveys” on campus to initiate conversations with students, the goal being to lead the discussion toward talking about Jesus.  The reality is there was no real survey.  No data was being collected for research.  It was just a technique used to start a conversation. A former student e-mailed me and told me about the show and said she remembered how much I hated that approach to evangelism.  I still do.  

Many years ago, I was at home leading a Bible study group when the doorbell rang.  When I opened the door, in front of me stood a few high school youth.  They told me they were from a certain church and wanted to talk with me.  I told them I was in the midst of a Bible study and didn’t have the time.  I thanked them for stopping by.  As I was closing the door, one of the students said, “Can I ask you one question? If you were to die tonight, do you know if you would go to Heaven?” There it was.  The question they were supposed to ask.  Never mind I had told them I was a campus minister and was leading a Bible study group at that very moment.  It didn’t matter.  Their goal for the evening was to visit as many people as they could and ask that question.  I could have just found out there was a death in my family or I had just lost my job and I don’t think it would have mattered.  They were going to ask that question because that was what they were there to do.  

In Paul’s day, men were preaching the Gospel for the sole purpose of making money.  They weren’t interested in the people; they were interested in their enterprise.  It is the same with the “survey” and the question.  They become the focus and the people are mere objects to conduct our business.  Is it any wonder people are turned off by Christians trying to evangelize them, or Christians are repulsed or fearful to reach out to others with the Gospel?  

The Gospel is about bringing hope to people in need of it.  That’s it. And the most effective way to do that is by being authentic with people in telling them what Jesus has done in our lives.  As Peter instructs, give the reason for the hope that is within you (I Peter 3:15-16 ) in an authentic and gentle way.  It’s really that simple.  We don’t need, and people don’t want, gimmicks.  Make it personal; make it real.  Then the people with whom you share can freely decide what they want to do with it.  

Today, recognize true evangelism is not done by deceit or by some developed method.  And it’s not done to make you feel better or more spiritual.  It’s done out of love through the sharing of your life and the transformation Jesus has made in it. 

© Jim Musser 2014

No comments: