Tuesday, April 9, 2013

When We're Treated Badly


"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.” (Matthew 5:43-45 NIV) 

It was my day off and I was napping when my phone suddenly rang. Being deep in sleep, I was too late to get it before it went to voice mail. Not recognizing the number, I curiously listened to the message.  It was from a man who did some repair work for us earlier in the year saying he had yet to receive payment.  Instead of leaving it at that, he went on to accuse me of trying to cheat him out of his money.

It was an honest mistake on my part; I had assumed my wife had paid the bill at the time of his service call.  I felt bad, but then I felt angry.  How could he just jump to the conclusion that I was trying to cheat him?  I thought about calling him and telling him what I thought.  I thought about including an angry note with my check.  These were fleeting thoughts, but then I quickly came to my senses and realized the Lord would not want me to return this man’s anger in kind.  Rather He would want me to love this man and I sensed that meant writing an apologetic note (he did deserve the money on time) and even express appreciation for the good work he did.  

Although this man was not persecuting me because I’m a follower of Jesus, I think the feelings that welled up in me after hearing his message are relevant.  As Christians, we don’t deserve people treating us badly, but Jesus calls us to love them anyway.  That can be very difficult because of our sense of injustice when it happens.  Yet our example is Jesus on the Cross saying, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” (Luke 23:34 NIV)  If Jesus, in the final hours of an agonizing death, can continue to love those supporting his death sentence, then we really have no choice but to love those who treat us badly.

Today, remember that God extends His love to everyone, including those who, for whatever reason, treat you badly.  Your response to them is to be a reflection of God’s response to us.


© Jim Musser 2013


No comments: