Thursday, April 4, 2013

Learning from an Expert on Dealing with Anxiety


“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:6-7 NIV)

In a meeting last fall with the staff of the university counseling center, the psychiatrist reported the number one presenting problem of student clients was anxiety.  She said they are anxious mainly about school, relationships, and their futures.  I see the same thing with many of the students with whom I work.  They are anxious much of the time about what life is throwing at them.  

If we want to learn about something, we seek out an expert.  If we want to learn how to do woodworking, we will seek to be taught by someone with those skills.  If we want to learn how to fly fish, we seek out one who has done it for a while.  And if we want to learn how to deal with life’s anxieties, there is no better person from which to learn than Paul.  

His life, after his experience with Jesus on the road to Damascus (Acts 9) was full of stress and trouble.  Here is how he sums it up: 

“I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again.  Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked.” (II Corinthians 11:23-27 NIV)

And we think we have it rough?  I cannot think of anyone with more experience with stress and anxiety than Paul.  So his words to the Philippians carry a lot of weight.  How does he tell us to handle what life throws at us?  It is, honestly, a very simple approach.  In every situation he says we need to pray.  We need to come before the Lord specifically seeking relief and giving thanks for where we find ourselves, no matter how difficult the circumstances are.  

Fairly simple, eh?  But so hard to do.  Instead, we often find ourselves totally consumed by our circumstances.  Stress and anxiety eat us up. Yet, if we truly want to live lives that are not dominated by anxious thoughts, then an expert has told us what we need to do.  

Today, as those anxious thoughts seek to dominate your life, go to the Lord and give them over to Him.  He is listening and He cares.  And don’t just do it once; do it again and again and again.  For the promise if you do is having the peace of God in your heart regardless of what is happening in your life.  Don’t take my word for it.  Listen to the expert.  

© Jim Musser 2013

No comments: