Friday, January 18, 2013

The Language of Hell


“Jesus said to them, ‘If God were your Father, you would love me, for I have come here from God. I have not come on my own; God sent me. Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies. Yet because I tell the truth, you do not believe me!  Can any of you prove me guilty of sin? If I am telling the truth, why don’t you believe me?  Whoever belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God.’” (John 8:42-47 NIV)

The language of which Jesus speaks is spoken a lot in this world.  Lance Armstrong, the seven-time Tour de France winner just confessed last night to Oprah Winfrey that he has been fluent in it for over 20 years.  And Manti Te’o, the outstanding Notre Dame linebacker, said this week he had been a victim of someone speaking this language for more than three years.

The language of lying has been around almost since the beginning. Satan, from whom Jesus says the language originates, first spoke it in Eden, and it soon became spoken worldwide. It still is.

Lying has its roots in pride.  Armstrong said he spoke lies out of  “the need to win at all costs” and to keep a false image alive.  Just like the father of lies.  We lie to protect our image or to bolster it.  And whenever we do, we are speaking the language not of Heaven, but of Hell.  

Jesus is the Truth (John 14:6) and truth is His native language.  If we are followers of Him, then we no longer have the need to speak the language of the devil.  Our image is one of the forgiven sinner, and there is no need to protect it or bolster it.  We are sinners living under His grace.  

Today recognize, as a follower of Jesus, you are a citizen of a kingdom where truth is the native language.  Learn to speak it fluently because it is where you live and you have no need to speak any other.

© Jim Musser 2013

No comments: