Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Falling in Love with the World


“For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. Do your best to come to me quickly, for Demas, because he loved this world, has deserted me and has gone to Thessalonica. Crescens has gone to Galatia, and Titus to Dalmatia. Only Luke is with me.” (II Timothy 4:6-11 NIV)

I saw a student recently that hasn’t been around for a while.  Pleasantries were exchanged, but it was awkward.  We both knew decisions had been made that had altered the course of their spiritual walk.  It saddened me to think that just months ago this student was excited to be involved and to draw close to the Lord.

I have been thinking a lot lately about students who were once so excited about the Lord but then fell (back) in love with the world and are now far away from Him.  Some try to keep up the pretense of their commitment when they see me, but we both know the truth that is left unspoken.  The allure of the world beckoned and they could not resist.

As I read these closing remarks of Paul to Timothy, there is a sadness in his tone, to which I can relate, as he speaks about Demas.  We don’t know whom Demas was, but it is apparent that he was a close companion of Paul, or else Paul would have chosen a different term than “deserted.” We don’t usually consider ourselves deserted by strangers or mere acquaintances; friends or family are the only ones close enough to do that.  

As Paul steadfastly lived for the Lord in the face of much persecution and suffering, Demas was lured away by things of this world.  We can only imagine what it was; all we know is he gave up his relationship with the Lord and with Paul in order to pursue it.  You can tell Paul was sad, but I don’t think for himself, but instead for Demas.  He knew the tragedy it is to once have tasted the goodness of the Lord and then to choose a different path.  

It is easy for those of us who remain faithful to get angry and judgmental toward those who abandon the faith, but what I think should dominate our hearts is deep sadness.  It is a tragedy to abandon the Lord out of love for the world.  They don’t need our anger; they need our prayers.

Today, if you know someone who has fallen in love with the world and abandoned the Lord, pray that he might return to Him.  It may not seem likely, but nothing is impossible with God.  

© Jim Musser 2013

No comments: