Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Hope in the Midst of Tragedy

“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” (Romans 8:28 NIV)

In a number of circles in Christendom, this verse is viewed as trite, or at least in the way it is often used. People often use it when faced with the tragedies of others, whether a death of someone, a serious illness, or inexplicable difficulties. The view is that many are uncomfortable with the suffering of others, and so find it easier just to share this verse to avoid dealing with the pain of those they know.

While I agree that many Christians do this, in my view this does not need to detract from the power and comfort of this verse. If we truly are of the opinion that we should not give this type of encouragement to those who suffer, as Paul did to his Roman brothers and sisters, then where is the hope? Are we thus to act as deists, who believe God started up life on this earth and then stepped back to watch what would happen? Everything that follows, then, is it just mere randomness?

As I told a friend recently, as we discussed this very topic, I have witnessed the hope of this verse in my life. I have seen what the Lord can bring out of the worst of circumstances. Both of my parents died in their 60’s from illnesses while I was a young adult. It was a tragedy for both my brothers and I, but the Lord indeed did bring good from it. Both my parents became believers months before they died, something I am convinced would not have happened without them facing their own mortality. I also learned about handling grief in a proper way, which provided me many opportunities to help others.

This is just one of several examples where tragedies in my life led to greater things for me. And when I read the Scriptures, I see the same thing. Right now, I am reading the life story of Joseph (Genesis 37, Genesis 39-50). His brothers were insanely jealous of him and sold him into slavery. He suffered greatly, but God used their terrible actions to eventually use Joseph to preserve the genealogical line that eventually led to Jesus, and blessed him richly in the process. We no longer view Jesus’ death as a tragedy, but it was to His disciples immediately after He was executed. (Luke 24:13-24) James says to “count it pure joy” when we encounter trials in our lives. Why? Because the Lord will use them for our good.

Of course, we should be sensitive to other people’s suffering and empathize with their grief and pain. But this does not mean we cannot also give them hope at the right time. For God does bring good out of tragedy, regardless if it is not immediately obvious to us how He will accomplish that. It is the truth because His Word proclaims it. So in times of distress and deep pain, we can hang on to this hope.

Today, if you are facing great difficulties or tragedy, or know someone else who is, know there is the promise the Lord will use it for good. Rather than becoming a meaningless tragedy in our minds, we can know God is at work and we can trust Him in the midst of our own suffering or that of someone else. To me, this view is not insensitive or trite. Rather, it is what can keep us and others hopeful in the midst of horrible circumstances.

© Jim Musser 2018

No comments: