Friday, March 16, 2018

Our Rescuer

“He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters. He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me. They confronted me in the day of my disaster, but the Lord was my support. He brought me out into a spacious place; he rescued me because he delighted in me.” (Psalm 18:16-19 NIV)

My wife saw it; I only heard it. The thump against the glass and my wife’s call to me that a hawk was after a sparrow. When I came into the room and looked out our sliding glass door, there was the poor bird lying face down in the snow next to our grill. My wife thought it best to turn it over and so she opened the door and gently flipped the bird’s limp body. It was breathing and it slowly opened its eyes. Then it began to move its head and look around. Within a few minutes it was alert and the memory of its close encounter with the raptor was fresh on its mind, evidenced by it ducking down at the sight of another bird’s shadow from overhead. A few minutes later, it flew into the safety of the trees, hidden from its enemy and its rescue complete.

David was reflecting on the great peril in which he found himself when he wrote this psalm. King Saul, full of jealousy and rage, wanted him dead. David was on the run and fearing for his life. He was facing a much more powerful foe and his situation was grave. Death seemed imminent and he cried out to the Lord. And, then, the hand of the Lord reached down and rescued him. 

We are told that our Enemy looks for opportunities to devour us, that we should always be alert to his lurking presence. However, sometimes we are distracted and unaware until it seems too late. He has us cornered and escape seems impossible. Have you ever felt that way?

What David’s psalm and so many other Scriptures tell us is the Lord is always able to rescue us. Even when we find ourselves in the most dire circumstances, whether created by others or of our own making, it is never too late to be saved. Our heavenly Father is always alert to our cries for help and able to pull us out of danger.

Today, be assured that no matter how dire your circumstances, there is One who is able to rescue you. He is the Lord Almighty and He is always on alert for your cries for help. When He hears them, He will come and pull you out of danger.

© Jim Musser 2018

No comments: