Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Crying Out for Rescue

“In you, Lord, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame; deliver me in your righteousness. Turn your ear to me, come quickly to my rescue; be my rock of refuge, a strong fortress to save me. Since you are my rock and my fortress, for the sake of your name lead and guide me. Keep me free from the trap that is set for me, for you are my refuge. Into your hands I commit my spirit; deliver me, Lord, my faithful God.” (Psalm 31:1-5 NIV)

The desperate calls have been unending in the aftermath of Hurricane Henry that came crashing ashore on the Texas coast over the weekend. People trapped in their destroyed or flooded homes have been calling 911 or reaching out on social media with cries for help to be rescued. Local authorities have been so overwhelmed they have put out calls for civilian volunteers to assist the rescue efforts.

From a distance, one can only imagine the fear and desperation of those surrounded by flooding waters.  Yet, it doesn’t take too much imagination if we recall times when we   found ourselves in desperate circumstances.  These circumstances come in many forms, from natural disasters, such as the one we are now witnessing in Texas, to grief over the loss of someone very dear to us; from being trapped in an abusive home situation to having to having a long-held dream crushed; and from being bullied to being depressed.  Truly, the spectrum of desperation knows no bounds.

Yet, there is no situation so desperate that it is beyond the rescuing arm of the Lord.  But unlike what we normally think of being rescued, the Lord doesn’t always remove us from the situation.  The last words of this passage may sound familiar.  They are the words Jesus repeated as He was dying on the cross. God didn’t rescue Him from the cross, but allowed Him to die on it.  Why?  Because He had a greater purpose in mind.  And Jesus trusted His Father.

We tend to recoil at suffering and think it is always bad, but God often uses suffering for a higher purpose.  Jesus suffered, Paul suffered, as did Peter and the rest of the disciples.  Over the past two millennia, followers of Christ have suffered and died.  Some believe that a life following Jesus is meant to be free of suffering, but that goes directly against what Jesus said (“take up your cross and follow me” Luke 9:23) and the biblical and historical record of the Church. Yet, these brothers and sisters cried out to the Lord and He was there with them in the midst of their suffering. They trusted Him even in the midst of their desperation.

As we look at the horrific pictures and video coming out of Texas, it is hard to comprehend the reason God is allowing it, but we can be confident He has a purpose beyond what we can see.  And if the people trust Him, they will likely see it over time.

Today, if you are in a desperate situation, cry out to the Lord for rescue. Whether or not He removes you from it, He will be right there with you using it for His glory, which is ultimately the purpose of each of our lives.

© Jim Musser 2017

No comments: