Thursday, April 27, 2017

Living Good Lives

“Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.” (I Peter 2:12 NIV)

I am often surprised by the reaction of people to what I still intrinsically believe to be normal behavior.  Recently, I stopped at a coffee shop to buy a cup of java and realized, after I was served, that I had no money in my wallet.  The owner was really nice.  Told me not to worry about it, that I could pay him later.  The next day I stopped in to pay him the money and the guy was completely shocked.  He told me I needn’t have done that, but I could tell by his face how much he appreciated, well, honesty.

This is a trait that is normal for me because I follow Jesus, but I realize people, like those in business, don’t always see nor necessarily expect honesty from people, particularly in the case of a couple bucks owed.  

I don’t know the coffee shop owner’s spiritual leanings, but my guess would be he is not a believer.  And, if that is the case, he likely has a rather skewed view of Christians.  One can argue that Christians are “nutcases,” “idiots,” and the like, but when individual Christians live good, upright lives, it gives the person pause.  

In a world full of rudeness, apathy, dishonesty, and the like, normal Christian behavior stands out like a light in the darkness.  It grabs people’s attention.

Today, recognize that how you treat people and handle situations can be a powerful testimony for Jesus.  The world may scoff at Christians in general, but the best way to silence our critics and draw them into a relationship with Jesus is by living good lives.

© Jim Musser 2017

No comments: