Friday, April 25, 2014

The Winding Path to God's Purpose


“Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails.” (Proverbs 19:21 NIV)

I entered college as journalism major and a social work minor.  I had always wanted to be a writer, but I also enjoyed helping people. However, I could never find my niche in journalism (newspaper, then magazine layout, then photography) and so I switched to a social work major. Having spent weeks visiting my dad in the hospital during my junior year and experiencing the challenges of family members of patients, I decided on hospital social work as a profession.  

By my senior year, fed up with the intolerance of my social work professors to followers of Jesus, I decided hospital chaplaincy would be a good alternative for me.  So, on to seminary where I realized I would need several years of pastoral experience before meeting the qualifications for chaplaincy. There was no experience I loved more than my involvement with a campus ministry as a college student.  Thus, I decided to pursue campus ministry as a means of gaining the required experience to become a hospital chaplain.  That was over 30 years ago.  I never did become a chaplain.

I had many plans early in my life, but God had a purpose for me, and He used my plans to achieve His purpose.  Since deciding to follow Jesus, I had always wanted to follow His will, but I didn’t always know what that was.  I just did my best.  As you can see, there were a lot of changes of plans and direction, but from the perspective of a 50-something adult, God’s purpose prevailed in my life.  

I know people who are afraid of making decisions because they fear missing God’s will for their lives.  I even once knew a student who would not choose her wardrobe for the day without first consulting God.  What I have found is if our desire is to honor God with our lives, to seek to live for Him, then we can make our plans without worrying if they are exactly the right ones.  Ultimately, God’s purpose for us will prevail.  We do our best; He will do the rest.

Today, if you are wondering what God’s purpose for your life is, know the plans you are making or contemplating for your life will lead you there.  It will likely not be a straight path, but you will end up there just the same.

© Jim Musser 2014

No comments: