Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Secret


“I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.” (Philippians 4:11-13 NIV)

My wife and I spent a day off the mountain recently to do some shopping and to watch a movie.  I had a craving for “Back Yard Burger,” which went out of business in our town a few years ago.  She was not too excited about the idea, but said she would do it for me.  As soon as we walked through the door, a group of four employees behind the counter greeted us with smiles and friendly chatter.  Their friendliness continued through our entire visit.  As we walked back to our car, my wife said she would come back to the restaurant just because of the friendliness of the employees.

As we were driving home later in the evening, I was thinking about our BYB experience.  I must say in the bulk of my interactions with service industry workers, whether they be in fast food, grocery stores, or other retail outlets, most are not very friendly.  By and large, they are not rude, but you get the impression from their attitudes that they don’t like their jobs very much.  This is why the BYB employees stood out so much. They seemed to be content with the jobs they had at the moment.  I am sure they have aspirations beyond manning a fast food counter, but they were able to enjoy where they were at the moment.

I think this is what Paul is saying to us.  No doubt he would have preferred not being in a Roman prison being persecuted for his faith in Jesus, but instead of being resentful or bitter, he found joy in his present circumstances.  He accepted, perhaps for reasons he did not fully understand, that the Lord had allowed his imprisonment and would bring good out of it (Romans 8:28).  And he allowed himself to be strengthened by the Lord so he could resist his natural tendency to be discontent and embittered by his circumstances.  For it is not natural for us to be content in all situations.  This must be learned.

This is why we see so much discontent in people and why we are often discontent.  We have not learned to trust the Lord and lean on Him when the circumstances of our lives are not to our liking.  

Today, know regardless of your present circumstances, it is quite possible for you to be content and to find joy in the midst of them.  The secret is to trust that the Lord is in control and to rely on His strength to do so.  Then, like Paul, you can be a shining light of contentment in a world full of discontent.  

© Jim Musser 2014

No comments: