Thursday, January 30, 2014

Hot Coals


“Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.  Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.  Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: ‘It is mine to avenge; I will repay,’ says the Lord. On the contrary:  ‘If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
 if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
 In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.’  Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.” (Romans 12:9-21 NIV)

Christian singer Natalie Grant created a firestorm on social media after she wrote this on her Facebook page on Sunday evening: “We left the Grammy's early. I've many thoughts about the show tonight, most of which are probably better left inside my head. But I'll say this: I've never been more honored to sing about Jesus and for Jesus. And I've never been more sure of the path I've chosen.”

Grant was lambasted by those who considered her early departure from the show, which featured a performance by Katy Perry described by many as resembling an act of witchcraft, a very sexually suggestive performance by Beyoncé and Jay-Z, and a gay wedding ceremony, an act of condemnation and hate.  She responded to the criticism this way:

“I NEVER said I left during any particular performance,” Grant wrote. “I only said I left early. I never pointed out any one particular performance, I only said I had many thoughts about the entire show, which were best left inside my head and that is where they will stay. So those who say I condemned one performance but then condoned others clearly did not read the post. I will never stand on a street corner and wave a sign, I won't use my platform to engage in political arguments that will only divide and not unite. I do have my own personal convictions that I live by, and I will continue to work out my own salvation with fear and trembling before the Lord. (Philippians 2:12)”

What I think her critics hoped for, and expected, was a ranting response pointing out the evils of homosexuality, the dangers of witchcraft, and the basic disintegration of family values on display at the Grammy’s.  Instead, what they got were some hot coals on their heads.

The 1st Century culture in which Paul lived was as harsh and coarse as anything we experience today.  You name it, it was present—orgies, homosexuality, witchcraft, drunkenness, idolatry, and excessive violence. If we were somehow transported back to that day, we just might think 21st Century America is not as bad as we have thought.  

It is in this context that we gain an understanding of the power of Paul’s words.  In the midst of such debauchery, Paul commands believers to hate what is evil, but to bless those who treat them badly; not to be vengeful, but to be loving toward the enemies of God.  

Enemies expect to be treated as such.  When they wrong someone, they are on their guard against retaliation.  To receive love and kindness instead can be either disarming or exasperating, depending on the condition of their hearts.  Either way, like when one comes into contact with hot coals, there will be a reaction.  

Natalie Grant’s response to her critics had the feel of hot coals.  She didn’t respond with righteous indignation or condemnation, but rather with gentleness and grace.  It stands out in a culture where people are so easily offended by almost anything and not hesitant to let the world know, often in the most harsh and coarse terms.  And, sadly, followers of Jesus have often done the same.  We have been quick to go on the defensive, thinking we are standing up for God.  But God is more than capable of taking care of Himself.  Instead, He calls us to love those who hate Him and us for a very practical reason: It is the best way to get their attention and create a pathway for the love of God to enter their hearts.  

Today, recognize love is always the best response to those who hate and condemn us for following Jesus.  Hot coals, like grace, kindness, and gentleness, will always get their attention in ways anger and revenge will not.  

© Jim Musser 2014

No comments: