Friday, December 6, 2013

Forming a New Cloud of Witnesses


“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.” (Hebrews 12:1 NIV)

On campus this is the time of the year where students are stressed out and energy levels begin to run low.  Within our ministry, fewer students show up for our large group meetings and attendance at our small groups begins to lag.  I don’t think it has to be this way, but it always happens.  

As I was reading this verse, what struck me is the “surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses.”  The writer had just listed in the previous chapter people who remained faithful to God in spite of very challenging circumstances.  He was calling his readers to use them as a motivation to stay faithful to the Lord and not to give up.  

I am wondering if we each would strive to be one of those in the “cloud of witnesses” for those around us, if we would see less trailing off of commitment in stressful times.  It seems to me that our culture, and particularly campus culture, reinforces this attitude of “I’m so busy, so stressed, that I can’t focus on anything but what’s right in front of me.”  So everywhere we turn, everyone is stressed out and busy.  I wonder what would happen if followers of Jesus, on campus, in the office, and at home took His words seriously: “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” (John 14:27)  What kind of witnesses could we be to those around us, especially those believers struggling in their faith?  

Today, think about the peace Jesus gives to us regardless of what is happening in our lives.  Embrace that peace.  Allow it to flow into your life. Be among a new cloud of witnesses testifying how to remain faithful and committed to the Lord no matter what the circumstances.

© Jim Musser 2013

No comments: